OA Indicates Original is Available!

CLICK GALLERY FOR DETAILS

CLICK TITLES TO VIEW

Elgin County Courthouse circa 1855

The Elgin County Courthouse”
Wellington /St., St. Thomas, Ontario
Circa 1855

The village of St. Thomas was chosen as the county seat when the County of Elgin received its grant for incorporation. The community had to supply a courthouse and jail. While this edifice was being built, the county leased the town hall at Talbot and Stanley Street from the village.

The first court was held April 15th, 1852 on the second floor of the hall. This courtroom was the noisiest in the province as the ground floor was a farmer’s market where a butcher had a permanent stall. Court was interrupted when he sawed meat. The county occupied the hall for a year and a half. The new courthouse was an imposing sandstone building with a cedar shingle roof and a tower rising from the centre. A number of years later there was a fire and the tower crashed through the damaged roof. A new slate roof design incorporated a large dome. Additions were added at east and west ends, as well as a front balcony and a porch. The jail in the rear has been torn down.

Court is still held in the courthouse at Wellington and Stanley, although the building is privately owned and leased back to the county.

This is part of our history and heritage of Elgin County.
Jenny


Village Crier Gallery

194 Currie Rd. P.O.Box 58, Dutton, Ontario N0L1J0

Tel: 1.519.762.2862

Limited Edition Print - 300 copies signed and numbered

Prints orderd here @ $110.00 + HST $14.30 = $124.30

To order please contact Jenny Phillips direct at - jennyphillips@golden.net or
call 1-519-762-2862 To order please contact Jenny Phillips direct at - jennyphillips@golden.net or
call 1-519-762-2862